Sunday, May 14, 2006

MacBook Pro can Safe/Deep Sleep (Hibernate)

I have both an IBM Thinkpad running Windows XP/Pro and a MacBook Pro, so spend lots of time hoppin from one (the PC for scheduling and Office, and some Explorer-only websites) and my MacBook, for Creative Suite and Flash testing. Hopping from one to the other gives me lots of opportunities to appreciate the integrity of the Mac OS, things like being able to actually copy and paste reliably from any application to any other. Once in a while, there is a cool thing in Windows that I like that is worth mentioning and eventually, it moves across to the Apple side as well. The best known one of course is the Alt-Tab application switching, but another one I came to depend on was "Hibernate". Hibernate is a power-saving mode that copies the contents of RAM onto the hard drive, then shuts down. Starting up is much faster than rebooting Windows, and it was essential given that sleep mode on my IBM laptop would exhaust the battery in about 3 hours.

In Mac OS 10.4.3 and later a hibernate mode has been enabled, but apparently won't be official for a while yet. Still, I've been messing around with a little Dashboard widget called Deep Sleep that lets you deep sleep your Powerbook/Macbook. Andrew Escobar has a very clear description of how to set this up from your command line. I prefer the hibernatemode 3, which puts the mac into your standard sleep more, and when the battery gets low, automatically goes into the deep sleep.

I like the deep sleep mode not so much for the reboot/wakeup speed, since OS X boots up pretty quickly, but that I don't have to relaunch my applications and can leave documents open.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got a MacBook and drained the battery on a flight home. It then sat for a day without recharging. When I plugged it in and attempted to wake it, I saw something that makes me think it was hibernating instead of sleeping (the screen was grayscale and there were progress bars at the bottom).

It looks like the feature may be enabled in case the battery really dies.

Dave Kauffman said...

looks right J. I think this is mode "5" power saving. I would like a setting, like sleep itself, that determines how long the thing remains is light sleep before it goes into deep sleep. That way when I am in a meeting or waling between them, it stays in light sleep, but if it's my case for a while, it deep sleeps. Probably be a setting in the energy saver panel in Leopard...

خدمات منزلية said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء